August/September Events 2017
Labor Day September 4th.
Heads Up ~ Scallop Season ENDS 9/24
- Sew Cool Sewing Workshop. Come to the Old Homosassa Learning Center every Thursday from 12:30 – 3:00. This class is open to adults at any sewing level. Sewing machines, ironing boards, and fabric available for use. All classes at the Learning Center are free of charge! 10950 W Yulee Drive Homosassa.
- Citrus County Council – Meets every 2nd Wednesday at 9 am. Doors open at 8:30 for coffee and networking at Beverly Hills Lions Club, 73 Civic Circle. Public is welcome.
- Citrus Shrine Club – All Shriners, Masons, family and friends are invited to the Shrine Club Potluck Socials held monthly on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 468 N Woodlake Ave, Inverness. Call 352-793-9470 for more info.
- Citrus Fishing Club – Meets the 1st Monday of the month at 7 pm at the American Legion Post 155, 6585 W Gulf to Lake Hwy. Call 352-563-9928 for more info.
- Chassahowitzka Community Association Game Day. The Chassahowitzka Community Association will hold a game day on each 2nd and 4th Wednesday, from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the Community Center, 10300 S Riviera Dr., Chassahowitzka. For more information contact Marylin Simpson at (260) 563-1465.
- South Levy Marketplace – 4th Saturday of the month. 9 am to Noon beside the Inglis Town Hall on Hwy 40 W.
- Antique Vintage Market & Music Festival. Every 4th weekend of the month. 3591 Gulf to Lake Hwy, Lecanto, 34460. Call 352-586-0480 for more info.
- Citrus Springs Civic Association – Meets the 3rd Thursday of the month, at 7:00 pm Meetings are at the Citrus Springs Community Center, 1570 W. Citrus Springs Blvd. Everyone is invited and encouraged to attend. Please bring a few canned items for a local pantry.
- Hospice of Citrus County Afternoon Tea – 2pm – 4pm Weekly on Friday at Hospice House, 3350 W Audubon Path, Lecanto, FL. For more information, visit http://www.hospiceofcitruscounty.org
- Citrus County Fairgrounds Flea Market. 7:30 am – 2 pm on Fridays. Come out and find that item you have been looking for.
- The Knit Wits of Homosassa. Join the Knits Wits of Homosassa at the Homosassa Public Library on Fridays from 1 – 3 pm for a happy, relaxed afternoon of knitting, crocheting, or just visiting. Newcomers are welcome to join the group, whether you are a novice or a master. Contact: Nancy Zembruski firstname.lastname@example.org (352) 503-6400
- The Florida Chapter of the Historical Novel Society meets on the first Saturday of each month in the Community Room at the Central Ridge Library, 425 W. Roosevelt Boulevard, Beverly Hills. Business meetings begin at 1 p.m. and programs begin at 1:30 p.m.
- Herry’s Market Day. The outdoor flea market features a variety of merchandise. Call 352-527-2020 for more information. Herry’s Market Day is the second Saturday of each month at 8471 W. Periwinkle Lane, Homosassa.
- AMVETS (American Veterans) Homosassa meets first Thursday of each month 6:30 pm at VFW Cootie bldg. on Veterans drive in Homosassa. AmVets is a national organization. Floyd Blodgett, Publicity Director 513-4490
- Crystal River City Council Meeting. Second and Fourth Monday of the month. For information, visit www.crystalriverfl.org
- Inverness City Council Meeting. Monthly on the first & third Tuesday 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
- Education for the Future Committee. Monthly on the third Wednesday. CCBA Headquarters
- Drum Circle – on the Second Sunday of each month a Sunset Drum Circle begins 2 hours before sunset, at Ft Island Gulf Beach at the last picnic shelter. Bring chairs and bug spray, drums, shakers, etc. Call Charlotte 352 344 8009 for more information.
- Radiant Ridge Toastmasters. The Toastmasters meet every 2nd, 4th, and 5th Mondays of each month at the YMCA in Lecanto on 486, first room on the right. For more information, call Vicky at (352) 518-4633 or email email@example.com.
- The Spirit of Citrus Dancers, USA Dance Chapter 6072, cordially invites the public to join in the joy of dancing on the first and third Saturdays of the month. For more information, please call JoAnn at 352-746-4274 or visit their web site at http://www.socdancer.org.
- All American Muscle Night. Car show sponsored by Nature Coast Mustangs at Arby’s starting at 6 pm ~ 8/4, 8/11, 8/25, 9/1, 9/8
- Friday Night Thunder. Cars and trucks from all decades assemble from 5 pm to 7 pm in Courthouse Square in downtown Inverness on the third Friday of every month. Contact 352-341-1165 for more information.
CARDS & BINGO!!
- TOO FAR Water & Natural Resource hosts BINGO every Monday Afternoon at Point O’Woods, 9228 E. Gospel Island Rd, Inverness. Call Pat at 352-419-8030 for more information.
- VFW Post 4337 Hosts BINGO every Monday & Thursday at 3 pm and Wednesday at 6 pm. 906 Hwy 41 E, Inverness. Call 352-344-3495 for details.
- Homosassa Lions Club hosts BINGO every Monday Night! Doors open at 4 for dinner provided by the kitchen for a good price! Games start at 6 at 8405 Homosassa Trail.
- Show me the money! Every 2nd Tuesday of the month come out to Kellner Auditorium from 6-8 pm for Combination of Cards & Bingo. Call Barbara at 352-513-5169 for more information.
- Floral City Lions Club hosts BINGO every Wednesday at the Floral City Community Building 8730 E Orange Ave, Floral City. Quarter Bingo starts at 4 pm and regular bingo at 6 pm. Refreshments available.
Citrus County Speedway
- 8/19/2017– ***CLOSED***
- 8/26/2017– 30 Lap Pro Figure 8, 50 Lap Pure Stock Feature, 25 Lap Mini Stock Feature, 25 Lap Street Stock Feature, 25 Lap Legends, Demo Derby
- 9/2/2017– ***CLOSED***
- 9/9/2017– 50 Lap Sportsman Feature, 50 Lap Mod Mini Feature, 25 Lap Mini Stock feature, 25 Lap Pure Stock Feature, PS Figure 8
- 9/16/2017– 40 Lap Sprint Car Feature, 25 Lap Street Stock feature, 25 Lap Pure Stock Feature, 25 Lap Mod Mini Feature, Monster Truck
- 8/20 – All the President’s Men (PG)
- 8/27 – The Music Man (G)
- 9/3 – Modern Times (NR)
- 9/17 – The Philadelphia Story (NR)
- 9/24 – Sabrina (NR)
Chamber Events: For details on Chamber events call (352) 795-3149.
- 8/17 – Mixer – American Legion in Crystal River will host 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM. Post #155 6585 W. Gulf to Lake Hwy. Crystal River, FL 34429
- 8/30 – General Membership Meeting. Business Women’s Alliance meeting at Crystal River Welcome Center. Open to the public. For additional questions (352) 795-3149
Scheduled Events by City:
- 8/17 – Summer Concert. Elvis returns to the Old Courthouse Heritage Museum with Peter Alden as Elvis. Proceeds benefit Citrus County Student Scholarship Program. Call (352) 341-6428 to reserve a seat. $25.
- 8/25 – Recital – The Citrus Youth Orchestra will have a recital at the Old Courthouse in Inverness in honor of their late founder, Harold Seckinger. 7pm to 8:30 pm.
- 9/11 – Day of Remembrance. The City of Inverness, the Valerie Theatre Cultural Center and the National Association of Retired Law Enforcement Officers invite you to an exhibit of artifacts, first responder memorabilia, flags & news clippings. The exhibit is open from Noon to 7:30PM. Also, join us for the Freedom Walk at 5:30PM from the Valerie Theatre to Liberty Park. This event is FREE and open to the public.
- 9/11 – Tribute Ride. Nature Coast Mustangs will start at the WTI in Inverness at 11 am and ride down HWY 44 to HWY 19 in Crystal River, then turn right on HWY 19 and ride to Shrimp Landing in Inglis.
- 8/15 – Congressman Webster Listening Session. 10 am to 11 am Library Reading Room Floral City Library.
- 8/26 – Bullitt Classic Cars Cruise in. 10:00 am to 1:00 pm at Bullitt Classic Cars 8690 South Florida Avenue Floral City.
- 8/17 – Town Hall Meeting. Commissioner Scott Carnahan will give a Town Hall Meeting at Central Ridge Library from 5:30pm to 7:00 pm.
- 9/1 – Reel Time: Deep Water Horizon. Enjoy this showing for Adults at Community Room at Central Ridge Library from 10:30am to 12:30pm.
- 8/27– Cattle Dog Cruise In. Hosted by Cattle Dog Coffee Roasters 2416 N Heritage Oaks Path, Hernando. Citrus County Cars and Coffee time is 8am till 11am. This is open to ALL makes and models.
- 8/18 – Florida’s Honey Bees. Master Beekeeper Melody Tayler will present a special program on Florida’s Honey bees. Program is free of charge at the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Wildlife Park Visitor Center on Hwy 19 from 1pm to 2:30pm. More Information: Susan Strawbridge – (352) 628-5445, ext. 1002
- 8/24 – Hidden Lives of Butterflies. Jeff Rundell, a Park Volunteer and retired biology teacher will give a program on the differences between butterflies and moths. Program is free of charge at the Ellie Schiller Homosassa Wildlife Park Visitor Center on Hwy 19 from 1pm to 2:30pm. More Information: Susan Strawbridge – (352) 628-5445, ext. 1002
- 8/31 – Belly Dancing Class. 5:45 PM – 6:45 PM, Homosassa Library Community Room. Belly dancing is exercise for anyone, regardless of age or size. It provides low-impact exercise, toning, and is lots of fun.
- 8/26 – Harvest Moon Craft Show. The Citrus County Craft Council will host its 28th annual Harvest Moon Craft Show from 10 AM to 3 PM, at the National Guard Armory in Crystal River FL.
- 9/7 – Preschool Stories. Enjoy books, songs, rhymes, and movement activities that help children build critical language and literacy skills at the Coastal Region Library Youth Room from 10:30 to 11:00 am.
- 9/12 – LWVCC Meeting. Join the League of Women Voters at 10:15 AM at the Coastal Region Library, 8619 W. Crystal St., 34428. Everyone is welcome to attend. For more info please call 352-382-0032.
Scallop Season 7/1 – 9/24 – Do you have your fishing license, dive flag, life jackets, snorkel equipment?
- Golf Scramble, September 16, 2017 to be held at Juliette Falls, 6933 SW 179th AVE, Dunnellon, FL 34432 8:00 AM SHOTGUN START. Call 352.897.4198 for more details.
- 9/23 at 6PM. SPANISH AMERICAN CLUB of CITRUS COUNTY ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP FUNDRAISER. 2017 The Spanish American Club of Citrus County presents their Annual Scholarship Fundraiser to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month. Performances by Gil “El Nino” Garcia & The Latin Jazz Knights. Contact Valerie Theatre for ticket information.